What would Steinway do

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 3 09:39:33 MST 2007

Hi Allen

Thanks for your comments.  Aside from going on about the ethical
implications raised,  I would seriously question the tactical wisdom of
the approach towards marketing many of these re-designed instruments
that seems evident. Seems to me there is a lot of shooting oneself in
the foot going around.

I believe each manufacturer / builder / rebuilder.... producer if you
will should put out their stuff and let it fly on its own merit and let
it stand at that.

 From that standpoint I do indeed share David Poritts frustration as I
understand it, upon meeting that unreasonable refusal to be open to
other ways and means of accomplishing a finished instrument that many
pianists present.

But I do not see how anything constructive, least of these that very
aforementioned cause, is served by dragging somebody elses name through
the mud. Nor do I see that anything is to be gained by alternating the
positions <<its just the same as the original>> and <<its much better
then the original >>.  I mean either you've changed it or you havent.
What  is some pianist,  who is uninformed from a technical standpoint to
begin with and ofte times biased in the second stance supposed to think
when presented with these ?  Predictably enough... skepticism to put it
mildly.

If instead one would simply insist upon the viability of ones own
product by taking the high road all the way... I believe far more
positive returns are in wait.

Cheers Allen
RicB

    Ric,

    I appreciate your more balanced and fair-minded position here vis-à-
    vis the Steinway Restoration Center and it's approach to doing
    business. I'm of the opinion that we should extend the same sort of
    collegiality and respect to those in the profession who may not
    happen to be in the room (on the listserve) as we extend to actual
    online participants. Some of the comments about Steinway have been
    pretty negative.

    Sincerely,

    Allen Wright, RPT