mutes

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Fri Mar 2 00:06:34 MST 2007

I watched this guy strip
mute the entire piano... took him ten minutes all in all.  I
just didnt
( and still dont) get the point. Seems counter productive to me.

 Ten minutes??!!  Probably more like 3, max.  It takes me about
1 min.  Well, here, lemme go time myself on my piano which is
sitting right over there . . . . .  Nope, I overestimated.  It
was only 45 seconds.
I’ve tuned both ways (unisons as you go and unisons after all
the center strings are tuned) and I don’t find unisons-as-you-go
to be any more stable.  Unless the pitch was way off.  But in
that case, I do a pitch correction anyhow, which gets everything
close enough that it doesn’t matter when the unisons are tuned.
A few beats difference in pitch between unison strings isn’t
enough tension difference to make the wire pull through two
bridge pins and around the hitch pin.  Nor does a few beats
difference in pitch on a few strings here and there change the
downward pressure on the soundboard enough to affect stability.
And don’t counter with a reply citing statistics from a major
pitch correction of ALL the strings.
        The point (of strip muting) for me is to avoid the
tedium of pounding the same note over and over as you tune all
three strings in a row, instead of spreading the tedium out over
time in order to keep your sanity.
-- David Nereson, RPT