Loosened leg segments Baldwin grand

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 1 21:49:53 MST 2007

Hi, Noel:
    I've done several of these.  Yes, you'll have to completely knock them apart.  You'll find, after removing the lock plate, that there's a large dowel (or is it part of the leg that is turned into a dowel), and the part that attaches it to the piano has a hole bored to the same diameter.  The end of the dowel is split, and wedges are driven into the end of the dowel to secure it.  You can use a chisel to help remove the wedges before you try to knock the leg assembly apart.  Drive a screw into a wedge and hold onto the head of the screw to help pull it out.  Coat the dowel and hole with epoxy, insert the shims (may have to make more), and knock it all back together.  You may also have to put shims under the lock plate so the leg ends up flush to the bottom of the piano when it's mounted.
    Let us know how it went.

Paul McCloud
San Diego