Pinblock/back separation repair

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 1 17:47:00 MST 2007

Jim,

I plan on a good 3 hours.  A lot of the time is setup (drop cloths,
including taping one to the plate/strings/pressure bar under the tuning
pin field to keep chips out of the action, loosening the few bass
strings that block access to screws, etc.).  Some pianos have a cover
glued over the pinblock / back frame area (cloth on Yamahas, that cheap
plywood on Wurly's) that's a whole lot more tenacious than it looks, add
a half hour, and bring planes, chisels, and scrapers.  My recollection
is that the Sohmer is not covered.  Then cleanup.  Time will also depend
on what glue material you choose to use, and how much time and effort
you're willing to spend working it down into the cracks.  The longest
time I ever spent was 4.5 hours on a little Baldwin whose separation had
opened up to over 1/4 inch.  Used a lot of epoxy and dowels to keep that
one together, also had to take some tension off the strings first.

Have fun

Mike