Boiling/treating bass strings

stuka at mindspring.com stuka at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 29 13:44:53 MDT 2007

Just boiled one of the unisons on the Frankenpiano, #G24, a triple-string unison. Boiled it in a big pot 12-14" in. dia or so, in about 3" of water. The pot never did get to a big rolling boil, it's a gas stove and it takes a lot longer to get there than an electric would.  Let it boil for a half-hour, 45 minutes or so. Pulled the strings out, let them cool about a minute, then wiped them vigorously, pinching the string in a cloth and pulling it through over and over.  The first several times this leaves black dirt/oxide marks in the cloth, then the marks begin to get lighter.  Pulled/wiped the strings until they didn't leave marks. Re-strung the unison, and yes, in this case there is obvious improvement over the two untreated unisons beside it. Much more live and brilliant, and the attack is not clunky and over-prominent, but tighter and more blended in with the decay/sustain, and pleasant.  This was rather a quick-and-dirty trial and it looks like there might still be some room for improvement; all of the discoloration (and presumably all of the dirt/grime/oxidation) is not gone, though the unison looks quite pretty and shiny next to it neighbors.

I'm also wondering about some of the kitchen methods for de-oxidizing copper, which tend to run along the vein of citrus and salt solutions.  One example that seems rather elegant for having the "best of both worlds" is this:  "Vinegar and Salt. If copper is tarnished, boil article in a pot of water with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 cup white vinegar for several hours. Wash with soap in hot water. Rinse and dry."  The double-duty of boiling and non-abrasive chemical removal of tarnish seems appealing.  I suppose I can pull out another unison on the FP and try it out here in a few...

Matt