back from K.C. David A / Stopper /P12 authorship

Bernhard Stopper b98tu at t-online.de
Tue Jun 26 03:14:25 MDT 2007

Ric,

The guy who put you into the trail to P12 you was André Oorebek from
Amsterdam (you figured out in another post) and  "a rather small article
i found about in the seventies" (your own words, you still have to find it)

Both indicates and proofs that it was not yourself who pushed you up
into the thing. In practice, the "other guy" already did so. Now for the
theory: Arnold Duin from Amsterdam, a former companion of André Oorebek,
told me at a Mensurix workshop i hold in Amsterdam a few years ago at
their convention that they learned the major
sixth-doubleoctavemajorthird test from their old teacher who was not
firm with any theory about tuning, but a good tuner. They tried to
convince him, that it is not correct to do so from tuning theory. Some
years later, after my publication in euro-piano, they began to adapt  to
the  P12. The article you mentioned was probably mine (the initial
publication of the pure twelfth temperement or "Stopper-Tuning" in
euro-piano 1988) So your finding was indirectly (via Andre) and probably
directly (the article) initiated by my work about the matter. I really
hate to offend other people, but you do so to me a little by continously
claiming independent authorship on the theoretical matter in your posts.

It was always my intention with the P12 temperament to get the tuning
theory compatible with what the best aural tuners tend to do, while the
standard 12th root of two tempermant theory is not so. Mathematically
the 19th root of three temperament is on a first look only one approach
between thousands of possibilities to split the pythagorean comma on
either side of the fifths circle.

More important (if not sensational, sorry for the self-praise) is my
finding of the beat symmetries (or symmetric interfenrence phenomene)
inherent in only this equal temperament four years ago, cancelling out
the beats in octave and fifths combinations and thus turning a tempered
tuning into pure tuning when playing chords. And this the proof why this
tempermant is superior to any other.

regards,

Bernhard Stopper