back from K.C. David A / Stopper /P12 authorship

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Tue Jun 26 18:30:41 MDT 2007

Comments interspersed:
On Jun 26, 2007, at 2:14 AM, Bernhard Stopper wrote:

> More important (if not sensational, sorry for the self-praise) is
> my finding of the beat symmetries (or symmetric interfenrence
> phenomene) inherent in only this equal temperament four years ago,
> cancelling out the beats in octave and fifths combinations and thus
> turning a tempered tuning into pure tuning when playing chords.
I've been experiencing, and talking about, my perception and use of
the cancellation phenomenon, which I have always referred to as a
psych-acoustic illusion, for many, many years. I believe my body is
profoundly capable of perceiving those fine and custom differences
that make up a great, musical tuning. I know many, many other whole-
tone, open-string aural tuners who have experienced the same
cancellation phenomenon, and have developed a massive skill in using
it to maximize tuning beauty.

> And this the proof why this tempermant is superior to any other.

WHOA! How can you possibly say that? I have heard many great tunings,
all over the world, using all kinds of methods to arrive at beauty. I
could never let the above statement pass without challenge.

My brother, that's going too far. Your tuning is beautiful, and I
respect your passion and desire to aspire to tuning excellence---but
to say that your temperament is superior to any  other can only
diminish and tarnish your perception in our community; there is no
"proof" as you speak of it, and your colleagues have and will take
offense and umbrage
if you keep insisting there is.

Let it rest; create beauty with your tunings, and your tuning
software, and let a hundred other flowers bloom.
Life is too short for these kinds of trumped-up arguments and sturm
und drang.

With best hope and intention,
David Andersen

P.S. This is my last word on this, so please feel free to remove my
name from the subject line if the thread continues.