back from K.C. David A / Stopper

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jun 26 02:45:20 MDT 2007

Hi Jason.  To take your thought a step further, The guy who first put me
on the trail of the P-12ths idea showed me a series of test intervals. A
major third, major sixth, octave 10th and double octave 10th. For tuning
C6 for example,  the relevant notes would be Ab3, C4, F4, C5, and C6,
with the Ab3 being the control note the whole way.  The Third should be
slowest, but just slightly slower then the 10th. The 6th should be
fastest, again by a very slight amount, and the note you are tuning...
the double 10th should be just inbetween the 6th and the other two. This
makes the 12th below C6 just very slightly off pure. Just got me
thinking back then that it would be easy to use Tunelab to do this directly

David Anderson using the clean fourths this way moves in a very similar
direction.

Cheers
RicB

    Yes. As I think about it, I recall that David Andersen puts great
    emphasis
    on the fourths, especially on the way down through the tenor. Now
    fourths do
    happen to have the coincident partial that is a P12 from the upper
    note. So
    in a manner of hearing, David is emphasizing P12 in his own way. Hmm.

    Jason