Glue

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Jun 7 15:18:52 MDT 2007

One of the two UK piano supply companies, Fletcher and Newman, sells a
version of animal glue that instead of being in pearl form, is a firm jelly,
roughly the consistency of a block of Jello.  It has some advantages over
pearl hide glue.  It doesn't need a heated glue pot, as just immersing a
small jar of it in a dish of hot water is enough to make it runny.

In the customer's home, it's great for a small repair, like replacing a
single broken shank, as you can heat just a little in an old spoon, using a
lighter, and that will do for s single job.  It is extremely strong, and has
a slightly longer "open" time than pearl glue. The longer tack time could
possibly be a slight disadvantage.  It is still much quicker than PVA.

I don't deal with Fletcher and Newman, but Heckschers also used to sell it,
but stopped some time ago.  I have now obtained a supply, however, from
another source.  If any of you who regularly use hide glue and gluepot would
like to try it out to see if you like it, I would be happy to send you a
small sample at my expense.  I'd be interested in your opinion.  (I don't
have an financial interest in the glue, and I'm not selling it  - I am just
interested in the opinion of exprienced US workers).

Best,

David.