Glue

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 16:54:43 MDT 2007

At 10:18 pm +0100 7/6/07, David Boyce wrote:

>One of the two UK piano supply companies, Fletcher and Newman, sells
>a version of animal glue that instead of being in pearl form, is a
>firm jelly, roughly the consistency of a block of Jello.  It has
>some advantages over pearl hide glue.  It doesn't need a heated glue
>pot, as just immersing a small jar of it in a dish of hot water is
>enough to make it runny.
>
>In the customer's home, it's great for a small repair, like
>replacing a single broken shank, as you can heat just a little in an
>old spoon, using a lighter, and that will do for s single job.  It
>is extremely strong, and has a slightly longer "open" time than
>pearl glue. The longer tack time could possibly be a slight
>disadvantage.  It is still much quicker than PVA.

I don't see the point of using such stuff.  My gluepot consists of a
conical porcelain or glass cup (a small Chinese handle-less teacup,
abtainable from any Chinese restaurant or wholesaler is fine) and an
old aluminium pan lid with a hole cut in it to hold the cup.  This
sits on top of a pan of hot water.  If I'm doing outside repairs, I
burden myself with a pan but boil a kettle at the customer's house
and use his pan.

My glue is always a more or less firm jelly anyway once it is
prepared for use and allowed to go cold.  Once I have soaked the glue
for an hour or two in cold water, I warm it and stir it smooth.  When
it has gone cold, the glue can be lifted out of the cup as a lump and
stored in the fridge.

JD