Wonderful career

Steven Sandstrom sandstromsw at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 7 14:48:12 MDT 2007

  As I have been reading all the posts on RPT and Associates I have to stop and think what a wonderful career a piano technician is. I agree when you belong to an organization you have to follow the rules. I have been working with pianos since 1975. I joined PTG in 1993 and became a RPT in 1995. I took the tests as many did to see what levels my skills were at. At my first national convention in 1995 I quickly found out how little I knew. I also found out that the skills I learned from my father were good. I was doing things correctly. I will be at Kansas City in a couple of weeks. This will be my 12th straight convention. I'm always amazed that more people don't take advantage of the conventions. I always learn something new. I don't think there are many other organizations that share knowledge as much as the PTG. I will also be the Quad Cities Chapter's delegate again. I have volunteered to do this for several years. I know there is an expense to going but it is well worth the investment. For me if your chapter doesn't have a delegate you don't have anything to complain about. I wish I knew someway to get more people to go. Not many in my own chapter go and I have tried to talk them into going. Maybe someday it will get better?
  So just remember when you think something isn't going right to stop and think about this great career. These are some of the things that I'm grateful for. When you leave when its still dark out and get to see a beautiful sunrise. When you tune for a concert and get positive feedback. When you tune some ones spinet and the child taking lessons is thrilled that the piano now sounds like the teachers. And as you drive away the piano is still being played. All of the repeat customers that almost become family. I have watched a lot of kids go through school and head off to college. Your repeat customers that are always grateful when you call them to let them know its time. Good high quality pianos. Taking Thursdays off in the summer to golf. Belonging to PTG. Always trying to improve my skills. Belonging to PTG. This job is way better then being stuck in some production line in a factory! Just my thoughts. Let me know what you are grateful for.

  Steve Sandstrom  RPT