What is the "gray market"?

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 6 09:29:26 MDT 2007

Hi, Joy:
    Grey market pianos (why the term, I don't know) are used pianos that are imported from Japan.  Apparently, Japanese people avoid buying used pianos, so importers pick them up for cheap and bring them over here.  Some are reconditioned here, some are done in Japan, and they are sold to local dealers for sale to the public.  I don't know about Kawai, but Yamaha will not stand behind these pianos or sell parts for them.  They claim that the Japanese pianos sold in Japan are made to exist in the humid environment of Japan, and that if they are shipped to other climates, there may be problems with failure of glue joints, cracking, or other problems.  They claim to have had  problems like this in the past.  Technicians are usually able to get parts anyway, so that's not so much of a problem, and the importers have a warranty in case problems develop.
    Importers will grade the pianos according to their age and condition.  Most will appear as-new, and will surprise you how old they actually are.  Prices are substantially lower than new, so they can be a bargain.
    I'm sure there will be opinions about the viability of these "grey market" pianos.  I work at a store that sells them, so you could say I have a bias.  There is always a risk when buying anything used, so I would advise ALWAYS HAVE IT INSPECTED  by a qualified technician, and be sure it has a warranty.
    Good luck in your search.
    Paul McCloud, RPT
    San Diego