Henry F. Miller fallboard problem

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 09:33:50 MDT 2007

Two-year-old Henry F. Miller conservatory grand. I've tuned it 3 times
in the last couple of years.

Problem:

Fallboard in raised position contacts back of sharps, pushing keys
down slightly, and causing clacking upon key return.

Not sure who to contact for tech support - my email to the Henry F.
Miller contact (on the PTG site) was returned. Anyone know a current
contact person? Pearl River?

Mechanical stuff is not my strong suit really, but here's some
observations that might help the mechanical geniuses solve the
problem:
1. Slightly lifting the fallboard up alleviates the problem
2. The felt on the bottom of the fallboard (between the fallboard and
sharps) was getting wedged between the fallboard and sharps, so I
trimmed that flush. This made the clacking problem worse. It had
originally affected one sharp, and by trimming, affected numerous
sharps. (Ahh....so I learned something by that, and can easily replace
the felt if necessary. I have to learn by trial and error
sometimes...er, most of the time. <g>)
3. (This might be related if the keyboard is placed too far back in
the action cavity.)  The G#6 backcheck wood is clacking on the metal
sostenuto mechanism mounted on the belly rail.
4. All these problems have happened between the last tuning (4/13/06)
and yesterday.

My feeble thoughts <g> about a solution are like this:

1. I could put an even wider felt strip on the fallboard. This would
indeed stop the clacking, but I think it would make the sharp key
return sluggish. I'd rather solve the real problem anyway.
2. It looks like the two pins upon which the fallboard pivots could be
moved up and in slightly. This would position the fallboard higher and
the rubber buttons on the stretcher would cause the key end of the
fallboard to be angled so it would be less likely to contact the
sharps. (It might make the fallboard more prone to unwanted falling,
and I would hate to plug and redrill only to find that it didn't
work.) The hinges don't look to be adjustable.
3. Maybe inserting a small nail or screw into the fallboard hinge
itself would prevent the fallboard from going down as far; hence,
"raising" the fallboard. I like this idea since it's easily tried and
removed without harm...but I didn't think of it yesterday while at the
piano.
4. I could shift the bass end of the keyboard forward a bit, as it
seems that more sharps toward the bass side are clacking on the
fallboard. (This might help with the sostenuto clacking. There is not
much clearance between the keyslip, but might be enough with some
maneuvering.)
5. Pianos have "terrible twos" like kids, and it will grow out of it eventually.
6. I could quit and find another profession or learn from you guys. <G>
7. There's probably a very easy solution that I'm totally missing. I
generally miss the obvious in favor of something complex. Shouda been
a bureaucrat I guess.

Anyone run into this problem before? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

John Formsma