finishing bench top

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Nov 28 20:48:16 MST 2006

Hey Joel,

Good advice from Terry F.  I would probably use a Danish oil or similar, but
I think it is important to consider the tasks being done.  When it comes to
durability, not much will stand up to a stray screwdriver, but for sliding
the action on and off, any standard finishes would be fine - Danish oil,
varnish, polyurethane.  As was mentioned, it is very easy to renew an oil
finish, without extensive preparation.

If you really want protection, you might consider either:

A.  putting a layer of plastic laminate on top of the whole works, (contact
cement, best to make it slightly large, then trim flush to the benchtop with
a - surprise! flush-trim bit in the router).

B.  making a replaceable top.  i.e. keep your benches as they are, but make
a top piece out of 1/4" masonite, with rails that go around the edge of the
masonite and keep it fitted to the top of the original bench.

Best,
William R. Monroe