finishing bench top

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Nov 27 07:50:33 MST 2006

I think the preferred finish depends largely on what tasks are done on the
bench. I tend to do a lot of gluing - wood glues, urea-formaldehyde
adhesives, epoxy, etc. I always have glue slop, drips, etc. on my bench.
What I have found to work very well is to sand the surface flat and spray
whatever finish I have handy - usually a water-based lacquer. I put several
quick coats on it.

Then after I have done some gluing, I scrape off the glue - it usually takes
off a coat of finish - but that way the glue comes off cleanly and very
easily. I just keep doing that until the finish gets too rough - then I sand
it again and spray a few new coats on. I just keep repeating the process
every few months or so. That way I almost always have a smooth finish on the
bench, and one that glue is very easily removed.

Terry Farrell