Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 19 15:21:56 MST 2006

>I really liked the Schumann version, which is a really simple and elegant
>solution. I wasn't able to find out how it sounds though.

Calin-

I tuned a Schumann with the bridge agraffes.  I didn't like the timbre.  As I recall it was a sort of "whistling" sound in the treble.  Granted, it was old and worn in every part.

I am enjoying your article and web site very much.  It causes me to wonder how much the treble can be improved by bridge loading and hardening of the bridge cap, such as can be done with epoxy or CA impregnation of the cap and/or use of different cap materials, including laminated woods (such as used by Ron Nossaman) or various non-traditional materials. One might even slice the bridge cap material or lay it in "tiles" if it seems that there is an advantage to having a separate "foot print" for each unison (I'm not certain there is).  I was impressed by the treble sounds of both Ron N's and Ron O's pianos in Rochester.

Thanks for your work in putting this together!

Ed Sutton