Mono string damper problem

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:37:51 -0700

Hi Gordon,
I use my centerpin flush side cutters to trim the felt.
If I had them I would try a pair of sissors that have blades 45% to the =
handle.
The kind they use to cut bandages off with.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Gholley237@cs.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 10:20 AM
  Subject: Mono string damper problem

  Hello List. =20
  Last summer I replaced the dampers in my grand.  In the past months =
I've noticed that the mono string dampers, from A0 thru G#1, are hanging =
up and will not return
  completely to the string after being played.  After very close =
inspection I see that the bottom of the dampers, either side of the _/\_ =
are expanding out from being square and are now rubbing on the neighbor =
damper felt sides.
  Haven't had the problem before and need some advice on what to do. =20
  Can one trim the felt sides of the dampers without damaging the damper =
beyond its usefulness?
  If so, what does one use to trim the felt?
  Many thanks in advance.
  Gordon Holley
  Associate Member
  Indiana Chap 467