Soundboard rib question

ed440@mindspring.com ed440@mindspring.com
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:34:27 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Ric-

Another thought: this might be a candidate for epoxy treatment of the soundboard, as published in the Journal by Del Fandrich a few years back.  The soundboard looks pretty good in the photos (which makes me wonder how much it was compressed in manufacture).  I've used the epoxy coat on small early 20th century pianos with reasonable results, especially improved sustain in treble.

The soundboard on this piano seems to be looking back toward earlier German/Austrian instruments.

Times like this I think of the Christofori in the Metropolitan, which has been called "the world's oldest piano case," since the original soundboard, pinblock and strings were thrown away in a 1930's rebuild.

Ed