Loose Upright soundboard

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:40:36 -0400

Use a syringe, to inject some glue, then the screws to hold in place.
I have also used the method, you suggest, from the front. The eyescrews, go into the side panel, as you are trying to draw the board toward the front. Then a drywall screw, with an aggressive thread, not the fine thread ones as they tend to strip the hole, goes through the eye, into the sound board, and pulls it back. When the glue dries, or on your next visit remove the screws, and plastic wood, may be used to tidy up the hole, if needed.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:24 PM
  Subject: Loose Upright soundboard

       Steve
    If there is access enough then it is a simple matter to drill a pilot hole for dry wall screws thru the board from the back of the piano  & into the soundboard liner. Get some glue into the joint any way possible & then screw it down.  The screws are the clamp.
    Dale Erwin
    I have a customer with a studio piano where the top of the soundboard has
    come unglued from the back frame.It seems to be only in the middle of the
    soundboard. You can only get to this area from the back of the piano. Are
    there any good repairs for this? I have heard of using screweyes in the back
    and running screws through them into the soundboard to pull the soundboard
    back in place while the glue dries. I have never done this and just wondered
    if it works? Any information will be helpful.
       Thanks, Steve Sandstrom