M H A

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 16:32:22 -0800

My preference is to use the standard bass string loop with vertical hitches. I
believe it to be a better string termination, especially at low frequencies. We
do use the standard hitch with the European style loop when either the original
aesthetics or the job budget is an over-riding concern.

The bridges usually come off fairly easily. It's been a while since I did a M&H
A but I think there are a couple of screws and buttons under the cantilever
foot. Take these out and work the bass bridge off of the board with chisels and
what have you. Usually they come off fairly easily. We cut the bridge body off
of the cantilever on a table saw. It is relocated as far forward as possible and
glued back on using a veneer spacer to compensate for the saw cut (and any extra
if needed for downbearing). When the bridge body is glued back on the excess
cantilever is cut off.

If you modify the bass bridge as shown in my picture and replace the bass
strings with a set that is properly scaled you will find the tone improvement is
quite obvious.

Del