M H A

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:02:58 -0800

Thanks to Del and others for the info on the "A".  I stand reminded of the
importance of the effect of a flexible cantilever.  I was too fixated on
that note #1 and its short back scale to notice.  I suspect the benefit of
lessening the shelf would be added to the benefit of lengthening the back
scale.

The more I learn about that cantilever the more I realize what a bad idea it
was just to be able to advertise a longer speaking length.  I can visualize
the string putting a pulse of energy to the bridge and even if the skirt
were infinitely inflexible, it would induce a ripple to the soundboard (the
board IS flexible).  I'm just speculating but it seems that would produce a
harmonic rather than a fundamental.  Energy would not move the board up and
down but in a crack the whip fashion.  Sound reasonable?

Del, you mentioned using double loop terminations.  Would you use those on
vertical hitch pins?  My sense is that the standard bass string loop would
pivot on the pin better than the double loop.  Having two loops contacting
the roll pin would make it harder to pivot.  The twist of the standard loop
adds stiffness but may not be detrimental.

I'm not sure if I could detect the subtle difference in sound under these
improvements.  Any hints as what to listen for before and after?

Any ideas how best to remove the bridge and did you remove the excess skirt.
That could affect mass I suppose.

Thanks to all.

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.