more on false beats

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:48:41 +0100

Hi folks.

Here's one that the loose pin gang is going to have a hard time
explaining.  Today I checked out an idea I had this past week and found
out that you can actually influence...even stop the false beat of one
string in a unison by exerting pressure on the bridge pin of its
neighbor.  I was actually not 100 % surprised at finding this was
possible, tho I had really rather expected to find it a bit more
difficult to influence a false beat this way then it was.  Whether it
was a combination of side pressure on the pin and downwards pressure on
the bridge itself I am not sure of yet as the experiment today was quite
simple.

That said... it showed clearly that you could silence the false beat by
exerting pressure elstewheres then on the offending strings bridge
pin... clearly demonstrating the independance of the false beat with the
coinciding bridge pin.  The pressure require to silence the beat was a
bit more then if I exerted pressure on the pin of the offending string
itself, but not all that much more. Otherwise the effect was quite the
same... a slowing of the beat rate with an increase in pressure until
pressure was sufficient to result in a beatless state.

Cheers
RicB