Up & down vs; side to side string motion was; false beats from ?? -...

Byeway222@aol.com Byeway222@aol.com
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:58:26 EST

RicB's comment about 'adding mass'  to the bridge pin by pushing (for
instance) a screwdriver blade against, it or on top of it, suggests that maybe
thicker/longer/heavier bridge pins may work better in the top regions.   Even the
lightest pressure on my Bechstein 'B' top treble bridge pins  eliminates the
false beating.  Translating this into permanancy is the next  question.  I
currently tune a Stuart piano where this type of  falseness is unknown.  OK, the
construction of these instruments is very  different, but there is certainly a
considerable amount of 'mass' in the bridge  aggraffes through which the
strings pass.  Is this a clue?

ric