Up & down vs; side to side string motion was; false beats from ?? -...

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:22:48 -0600

>  I currently tune a Stuart piano where
> this type of falseness is unknown.  OK, the construction of these
> instruments is very different, but there is certainly a considerable
> amount of 'mass' in the bridge aggraffes through which the strings
> pass.  Is this a clue?
>
> ric

Of course it's mass. There is no low mass horizontal spring
possibility with the Stuart agraffe, like there is with a loose
bridge pin in a wooden cap. The agraffe is a solid termination in
both the horizontal and vertical plane. When the bridge pin is
solidly attached to the stiffness and mass of the bridge at the cap
surface, you don't get these beats.

Ron N