Trailer ideas?

chuck c chchristus@earthlink.net
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:44:08 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

For the cargo trailer I would suggest at least 6' X 10'.  Large enough to fit bigger pianners, even two at a time, plus all your moving supplies.  Torsion bar suspension is a smoother ride also, for the cargo and you, than straight axle.  You can equip each side wall with two levels of "E-Track", which accept the clip-in straps to which you can attach the big straps (ratcheted) that go around the cargo.  The E-Tracks run horizontally, of course, at about 18" and maybe 40". (Sorry, not sure what they really call these "clip-in straps" but they are made for E-Tracks, so you'll find 'em at the trailer supply place.)

A trailer with a pull-down ramp is a good idea, rather than two side opening doors.  Also, make sure the door clearance is tall enough to allow any piano in on a dolly.

Check the overall construction of the trailer too, like the steel framing on the sides and especially the bottom.  Make sure the wood floor is 3/4".  Get one with a strong tongue, to accept 2" ball, etc.; the higher the load rating, too, the better.   Most trailers are made the same, some just beefier than others.  You'll see what I mean after looking at a few different brands.

Enough?  Hope that helps.

Happy, safe, healthy, and prosperous New Year to all!

Chuck Christus