Spinet

John Delmore jodel@kairos.net
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:02:08 -0600

Hi Anson-
Yeah, spinets are fun :-(!  The tuning pins may need CA, the pinblock could
be bad, or you may need to work more on tuning stability-just takes time for
that.  In the high treble, sometimes you can get a mute below the striking
point, sometimes it's just a challenge.  Be very careful about mute
placement, as it's very easy to "lose" a mute below the strike point!!  Good
luck!!
John Delmore

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Anson Kao
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 11:46 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Spinet

Hello everyone;

I am just starting out with tuning.  I did my first Spinet last night and it
was terrible!  I see why they say expensive grands are easier to tune.  The
bass was in drastic condition and some of the strings had a dull sound that
I couldn't identify.  Some of the notes couldn't hold the tuning, once I
tuned it the pin would just slip back on its own.  Another problem I had was
I couldn't figure out how to mute the outside strings for the treble--there
was no space for a temperament strip and I couldn't figure out a good way to
do it.  Thankfully it was just a friend's piano I was doing as a favour, and
I got away with a rough tuning.  Anyhow, for any of you who have dealt with
these problems before, any advice?

Thanks
Anson