What's a fair price to charge for tuning a piano

Wayne M. Williams wwilliams11@nycap.rr.com
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:49:44 -0500

Dear Will:
Sorry to take so long to write back. I am in the Adirondacks of NYS, =
About 54 mi. north of Glens Falls.

I was wonder if you knew where I could get flange screws wit crinkled =
washers for a Karnich and Bach upright. Also, removing and returning the =
action to its place in the piano has been giving me constant headhaches: =
it does not seem to line up with the key buttons. Very strange design. =
Any wisdom on how to deal with this piano?

Wayne =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Will Wickham=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:53 PM
  Subject: Re: What's a fair price to charge for tuning a piano

  Wayne,

  I'm in the Fingerlakes and Southern Tier area. We've got pretty good =
coverage of tuners in this area. Are you in NY as well?

  A basic tuning in this area is pretty much just a tuning. Depending on =
the tuner it might include fixing an occasional sticky key or other =
simple service, but anything more time consuming will likely be a =
separate charge. I don't know about others in the area, but I don't =
charge mileage or change my fee for different locations. I tend to group =
appointments to save travel time and expense. I do discount churches and =
schools as well as the store I tune for regularly. They do pay better =
than $15 per tuning!

  will