Piano Rebuild Client AWOL

bill peterson wpeterson2@socal.rr.com
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:53:55 -0800

I would tell them that you are going after them for the balance of the =
contract.  You could offer to settle for the piano.  If you did that you =
would never have to look over your shoulder or worry about badmouthing =
etc. =20

Bill Peterson
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:03 AM
  Subject: Piano Rebuild Client AWOL

  I've just run into a first for me. Couple years ago I contracted with =
a local couple (the husband to be specific) to remanufacture their old =
Baldwin M grand (5'3") - new soundboard, action, finish, etc. The piano =
was originally purchased new by the woman's grandmother and was handed =
down to her (read: sentimental value - no other piano will do). They put =
the first 1/3 of the contract fee up front. I completed building the new =
soundboard, bridges, ordered parts, etc., etc. The next step was to move =
on to refinishing - that is when the next installment of funds was due.

  I tried to contact them at that point (several months after I started) =
and was unable to - all phone numbers disconnected, etc - I tried =
internet searches with no luck. I now learn that the couple got =
divorced, the woman moved to the Carolinas and the man seems to have =
disappeared from the face of the earth.

  I stopped working on the piano a long time ago because it seemed I did =
not have a client and roughly 1/3 of the work had been completed.

  This morning I get a call from the woman's mother inquiring about the =
piano. I explained the status and she asked if I could just "put it back =
together" and that she had no funds that she wished to invest in the =
piano - but realizes that it may cost something to make it whole again =
in some minimal fashion.=20

  So now I'm trying to figure out some sort of solution to this =
situation. I seems very clear there will not be a "good" solution to =
this situation (unless, of course, the husband is found and is willing =
to complete the contract - which mom will try to do - but I'm not going =
to hold my breath). I only wish to get paid for the work I do to the =
piano. I do not wish to hold anyone to complete the full scope of =
contracted rebuilding tasks - that would be best for the piano, but I =
don't think anyone will want to pay for it. I'm going to figure up a fee =
for making the piano whole for the least cost. That will be such an =
awkward solution - new fabulous belly - peeling finish - dull plate - =
so-so action with chipped/cracked ivory keys. I feel so uneasy about =
such an end. And I know the lady won't be happy with the piano either.

  Does anyone have any constructive thoughts for a least-bad outcome to =
a situation like this? Maybe there is some avenue/direction that I have =
not thought of. Thanks.

  Terry Farrell