Flat Belly Rail

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:30:25 -0500

In my mind, no. Two different things. The beveled rim is the angle the inner
rim makes with the horizontal measured across (width) the inner rim. A curve
or arch to a belly rail or rim is an arch that is formed along the length of
the rim/rail. I think some manufacturers make a little arch on the inner rim
along the curved side of the rim. Maybe some arch the belly rail also, I
don't know.

I agree that it seems to make some sort of logic to not force the board into
a flat shape if it doesn't naturally go that way, but again, I don't know
that it really makes much difference.

I think a flat belly rail is just fine. If I were you though, I'd feel more
comfortable hearing that from someone with more experience than me on this
subject.

Maybe we should just make each piano a little differently and thereby create
unique pianos - you know, so that each piano has its own personality!

Terry Farrell