Flat Belly Rail

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:51:52 +1100

>Is a flat belly rail a good idea then?
>
>Thanks
>RicB

It is around here. We're using a flat belly rail in our 225 pianos.
By this I mean that there is no curvature across the span of the
belly rail. The central area of our boards have nearly 10 mm of crown
unstrung. When strung, a string line placed underneath the board will
almost clear the sound board buttons. If the belly rail was crowned
as well it would make for serious problems achieving a workable
relationship between bridge height, bearing block height and the
correct down bearing angle setting.

We do angle the belly rail and inner rim gluing face to the crown of
the board. As Terry suggests, it probably isn't greatly important.
But I like to do it just to know that the glue joint is good all the
way across the interface. I'll pulled one original board which
clearly had lots of crown when it was installed, but the inner was
made flat. The glue joint was good around the outer edge but the
inner edge was only just making contact or just off the rim. I can't
say I'd be comfortable about such a gluing arrangement. It could very
easily allow noise at the perimeter of the board in some instances.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers