another CA question

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:51:38 -0500

Having some experience using CA in a variety of applications it is my guess
that very little of the 2.5 oz ended up in that hole. That 2.5oz plus the
other ten probably went all over the top of the block and soaked into the
various wood structures and glue joints surrounding it.

When you put on mega doses of CA what do you end up with? It seems to me
that what you get is a structure that is extremely hard and rigid. With my
method of using less than 2 oz for the whole piano it yields a pin block
that is a pleasure to tune. It feels like you are turning pins in wood. But
on the pianos I've tuned that had 6+oz added there is no give. The block
feels very hard.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Don
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 12:29 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: another CA question

Hi Terry,

It was an upright--tipped onto newspapers--and there was no dripping thru.
In any event it was the middle pin of a threesome so it would not have been
the first pin treated in that unison. The client told me the first (top)
pin took very little--but then the middle pin he just kept pouring on the
juice. It would seem strange to me that the void would only be between the
middle pin of three and the plate. I can say that pin was no tighter than
it's neighbours.

At 01:19 PM 2/11/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Or filling the gap between the pinblock and plate.
>
>BTW - anyone check the carpet?   ;-)
>
>Terry Farrell
>
>SNIP
>>
>> The "record" for a
>> single pin was someone who applied 2.5 ounces to a single pin--I suspect
>> he
>> was filling a huge separation or crack in the block.
>> Regards,
>> Don Rose

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/