Using an ETD to hone aural skills

Robert Finley rfinley@rcn.com
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 21:34:33 -0500

I am also learning to tune aurally using a Sanderson Accutner III to =
check my accuracy. My piano is a Yamaha 5'3" grand which is well scaled, =
although some of the beats are  quite weak to hear, and I have noticed a =
few false beats too.=20

I also use the same Potter FA temperament (I am doing his correspondence =
course) and use a similar procedure to what you describe, although I =
also tune A440 to a fork by comparing the beat rate of the fork and F3 =
with the note A4 and F3.=20

One thing I have done when tuning the temperament is to tune each =
interval with the SAT and then listen to the beat rate so I know what it =
should sound like, and also do the various test to hear how the beat =
rate (such as speed of the major 3rds) gradually increases as you go =
higher in pitch. I also tune each interval aurally and then check it =
with the SAT as you do. Each way has it's benefits.=20

Robert Finley

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: A440 Piano Service=20
  To: PTG List=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:21 PM
  Subject: Using an ETD to hone aural skills

  =20
Hi people,I'm trying to hone my aural tuning skills and I've come up =
with a method... I'd like to hear others' feedback on this particular =
method, and about any other kinds of methods you might recommend.

Today I had a nice tuning in a quiet house.  It was a Yamaha Grand, a
C3 in good shape.  So I took the opportunity to "keep score" on my
aural tuning.  I used Potter F-A II.

What I did was:
1.  Take F-A-C readings and let the SAT calculate a tuning.
2.  Set the A4 with the machine.
3.  Tune the temperament by ear from there.
4.  Compare my note with the machine's calculation.
5.  Write down how far off I was (in cents).
6.  Re-tune with machine and go to the next note, lather, rinse and
repeat.

Here's my scorecard:
A3: -.1
F3:  -.2
F4:  +.9
C#4:  -.8
D4:  dead on!
A#3: -2.7, retried: -2.2.  Found out D4 (where I was tuning the third
from had drifted flat - gotta work on my stability!)

F#3: -.5
D#4: dead on!
B3:  -2.8  (oops!)  retry: dead on!
G3:  +.2
E4:  -.4
C4:  dead on!
G#3: -.8
F#4: -.1
G4:  dead on
G#4: -.3

So howzzat?  Not too bad, I'm thinking.  My tendency looks to be that
I tend to tune flat (slower beating), but I think I'll need a few more
scorecards to make a statistical judgement.  And I have to work on the
stability thing, too, obviously.  I get so caught up in the beat
speeds that I lose track of that fundamental skill of setting the
string and the pin.

Are any of you doing practice things with your ETDs?  How do you use =
them?