Using an ETD to hone aural skills

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 10:54:32 -0800

I prefer Mr. Finley's method for the simple reason that initially you =
want
to reinforce what it is you want to hear rather than making mistakes and
then going back and making corrections.  It is always easier to learn it
correctly the first time rather than unlearn it and learn it correctly
later.  Therefore, I would tend to (if you are using the SAT III) =
program a
tuning sequence into the machine and tune aurally along with it =
listening to
the intervals and checks as you go.  You also might find that you =
disagree
with the machine in certain sections of the piano especially through the
tenor and in the bass below C3 (that's the point at which the machine is
preprogrammed to switch from a 4:2 to a 6:3 octave-it's not always the
perfect transitional point).  Tune 95% along with the machine and then =
test
yourself now and then going in the same sequence.  You will establish a =
beat
memory more quickly and I think you will progress faster. =20

=20

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20