Pinblock fitting revisited

Ted Simmons tsimmons4@cfl.rr.com
Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:26:59 -0500

   I guess I didn=B9t explain myself too well in my previous post on pinblock
fitting.  The answers I received so far ignored the fact that the pinblock
to plate flange fit had gaps in it and implied that frequent tunings is the
only solution.  What I need to know is if there is a situation where the
pinblock to plate fit doesn=B9t matter.  This is contrary to all I=B9ve been
told and all I=B9ve read about over the years.  All replies will be
appreciated.

Ted Simmons

What=B9s the latest on whether or not a pinblock should butt against the plat=
flange?  I have a customer who has a rebuilt piano that won=B9t hold tune for
even a day and when I removed the action and checked the pinblock-to-plate
fit I found gaps throughout, some as much as 1/8 inch.  Two weeks after I
tuned it I found it over 20 cents flat and had to give it a pitch raise.  A
few weeks later it was overly flat again and in need of a pitch raise.  I
explained to the customer about the pinblock to plate flange fit but he sai=
that he was told by the rebuilder that such a thing was not important.  To
top it off he did some research and got conflicting comments.  Some said th=
piano is OK as is while others held to the conviction that the gaps in the
pinblock are the problem with his piano.  I need some backup in my
assessment, either pro or con.

Ted Simmons
Viera, Florida