Pinblock fitting revisited

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 06:44:51 -0500

Pinblock fitting revisitedMaybe you are hitting the delete button too =
fast? It seems to me the following responses directly address the gap in =
the pinblock/flange fit. No?

Terry Farrell

Is it safe to assume the piano has been strung for a while and has=20
stabilized somewhere near standard pitch? I would recommend tapping some =

hardwood shims into the gaps between the plate flange and pinblock and =
see=20
if that helps - if suddenly it becomes stable, then I guess the answer =
is=20
obvious. At least it won't hurt anything.

Terry Farrell

=20
I agree, and the one thing you DON"T want to do is sell him an=20
expensive wedge and shim job, saying that will fix it, until=20
you try this.

Ron N

Ted, from my brief experiences with unstable pianos due to what appears=20
to be a poor-fitting block-to-plate, it's very important. 1/8" is quite=20
a bit of play, IMHO.

Hardwood shims..re-tune - evaluate.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)

Since the customer is confused by previous advice and research, if the
flange fit IS a problem but the pins are tight and I think I'd flip it =
over
and use wood and epoxy to fill the gaps rather than try to sell a bigger
job. Don't forget the drop cloth!

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----=20

  I guess I didn=B9t explain myself too well in my previous post on =
pinblock fitting.  The answers I received so far ignored the fact that =
the pinblock to plate flange fit had gaps in it and implied that =
frequent tunings is the only solution.  What I need to know is if there =
is a situation where the pinblock to plate fit doesn=B9t matter.  This =
is contrary to all I=B9ve been told and all I=B9ve read about over the =
years.  All replies will be appreciated.

  Ted Simmons

  What=B9s the latest on whether or not a pinblock should butt against =
the plate flange?  I have a customer who has a rebuilt piano that =
won=B9t hold tune for even a day and when I removed the action and =
checked the pinblock-to-plate fit I found gaps throughout, some as much =
as 1/8 inch.  Two weeks after I tuned it I found it over 20 cents flat =
and had to give it a pitch raise.  A few weeks later it was overly flat =
again and in need of a pitch raise.  I explained to the customer about =
the pinblock to plate flange fit but he said that he was told by the =
rebuilder that such a thing was not important.  To top it off he did =
some research and got conflicting comments.  Some said the piano is OK =
as is while others held to the conviction that the gaps in the pinblock =
are the problem with his piano.  I need some backup in my assessment, =
either pro or con.

  Ted Simmons
  Viera, Florida