Brass Rail to Wood Flange Conversion

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:47:22 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_xlhfn68Kla+dogmE1goJeg)
How about a grand flange, I believe they are flat?
You could cut to size, and use sandpaper to stabilize the side to side motion.

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: Pianotech List
  Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:39 AM
  Subject: Re: Brass Rail to Wood Flange Conversion

  I checked out the action center position pretty closely before making this conversion. I just double-checked it with the original setup again (not that I had ANY doubts!  ;-). It is real close to original - if anything a quarter of a millimeter low, so I really don't want to lower it any more.

  However, I did incorporate some of Ron's suggestion (although not the heart of his suggestion) - I ran a length of #17-1/2 music wire along the bottom side of the flange screw (nice snug fit) and kept the upper brass rod.

  I have to admit that I still like the idea of having the full height of the flange intimately contacting the action rail. If nothing else, it will likely make me sleep better at night....

  Terry Farrell

  BTW: What kind of flange does is completely flat on the back side - no cut-out?