Brass Rail to Wood Flange Conversion

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 08:39:39 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_003B_01C62A2F.B3EDE660
I checked out the action center position pretty closely before making =
this conversion. I just double-checked it with the original setup again =
(not that I had ANY doubts!  ;-). It is real close to original - if =
anything a quarter of a millimeter low, so I really don't want to lower =
it any more.

However, I did incorporate some of Ron's suggestion (although not the =
heart of his suggestion) - I ran a length of #17-1/2 music wire along =
the bottom side of the flange screw (nice snug fit) and kept the upper =
brass rod.

I have to admit that I still like the idea of having the full height of =
the flange intimately contacting the action rail. If nothing else, it =
will likely make me sleep better at night....

Terry Farrell

BTW: What kind of flange does is completely flat on the back side - no =
cut-out?

----- Original Message -----=20
> As I'm watching this thread, I wonder: have you checked the geometry =
of the flange and butt with the wippen and key in place??
> Is it possible that the action center is a little high, and that you =
could just run the rail through a table saw and cut the bottom of the =
flange rabbet a little lower?
>=20
> Ed Sutton
>>>

>>> I think I'd have considered this. Seems easier, and might not even=20
>>> need the maple addition - "just" a different set of flanges. Lots of =

>>> ways to get there, it seems.
>>>
>>> Ron N
------=_NextPart_001_003B_01C62A2F.B3EDE660
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...