Soundboard Resonces and the Wogram Article

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 10:41:14 -0800

I don't think false beats are quite the same thing as an oscillating
resonance which seems to take place mostly (if I read the diagram correctly)
in the lower frequencies.  Clearly there are other reasons to build boards
with cutoffs and rib crowned and supported than simply for controlling
resonances.  Those reasons (which I am inclined to agree with) may very well
trump any acoustical differences between the two.  I'm really just wondering
what those acoustical differences in terms of overall effect might be
between a soundboard constructed with the bridge precisely located between
the functional inner rim in a uniform shape and one that isn't as it relates
to the resonances pictured in those diagrams at various frequencies.
Moreover, I'm wondering how those differences might manifest themselves in
our experience of listening to the piano.  My assumption is that the pattern
produced will be more uniform and predictable.  But sometimes
unpredictability and randomness can be a positive thing.  So my question is
first, if that's the case, and second, if so, what are we trading for what
and is it something that's worth considering?