Soundboard Resonces and the Wogram Article

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 04 Feb 2006 13:44:25 -0600

> I don't think false beats are quite the same thing as an oscillating
> resonance which seems to take place mostly (if I read the diagram correctly)
> in the lower frequencies.

No, they aren't, but what parts of chaos do we get to chose?

>  My assumption is that the pattern
> produced will be more uniform and predictable.

With the cutoff? Yes, that's the intent, and seems to be the
result.

>But sometimes
> unpredictability and randomness can be a positive thing.  So my question is
> first, if that's the case, and second, if so, what are we trading for what
> and is it something that's worth considering?
>
> David Love

Why would you think I haven't considered it? Considering it is
exactly what got me here. Personally, I don't like random
surprises when I have so much time and expense invested in
building a board and stringing it before I know what I've got.
I had quite enough of that sort of thing through the years
building more conventional boards by conventional methods
guided by conventional wisdom and reproducing the problems as
faithfully as I was able. I like this a lot better, and am
quite thrilled and grateful to be able to trade so much of the
voodoo guesswork of the conventional method for what I'm doing
now, and I very much like the result. If I didn't, I would
still be using the old methods and wisdom and getting the same
annoying and disappointing results. Those of us doing this
sort of work aren't noticeably endangering the world piano
manufacturing process. There is still plenty of random out
there for everyone who is interested, and doesn't like what
the redesigners are doing, and I don't consider the
possibility that if what I'm doing doesn't produce the sound
people are used to hearing in pianos, I might want to
reconsider my approach. As I said, I personally like the
results, as do others who have heard them. I'm doing this
quite intentionally and methodically, for what I consider to
be far more valid reasons than maintaining the status quo. And
I'm always learning something new, and think everyone should.
I WANT people to hear something they're not used to hearing.
They might just get ideas.

Ron N