Preemptive CA in bridges?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Apr 6 18:54:15 MDT 2006

> I realize there are many forces acting on the bridge cap - I guess I was
> just suggesting that the CA applied to a finished piano would not likely
> have the benefits of epoxy applied as part of the pinning process.

It sure helped a relatively new vertical a couple of months
ago. Cleaned up the top half of the scale quite a bit.

> wonder also if you'd find much wicking down the pin into the cap if you
> had a real tight fit. Wouldn't you risk making a bit of a mess on a new
> piano?
>
> Terry Farrell

Thin CA doesn't seem to have anything like the surface tension
of water. I've piled it on around bridge pins and don't
remember ever having the initial application not soak in 100%.
The second pass is the one that might not go in, especially if
you wait too long after the first. If manufacturers would just
use better capping material in the first place, this wouldn't
come up. But you already knew that from experience.
Ron N