Preemptive CA in bridges?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 6 21:44:45 MDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <rnossaman at cox.net>
>> I realize there are many forces acting on the bridge cap - I guess I was
>> just suggesting that the CA applied to a finished piano would not likely
>> have the benefits of epoxy applied as part of the pinning process.
>
> It sure helped a relatively new vertical a couple of months ago. Cleaned
> up the top half of the scale quite a bit.

I wonder if those pins were loose at all. I know the wicking action of thin
CA is amazing, maybe there was enough looseness to allow CA to help - well,
obviously!

>>I wonder also if you'd find much wicking down the pin into the cap if you
>>had a real tight fit. Wouldn't you risk making a bit of a mess on a new
>>piano?
>>
>> Terry Farrell
>
> Thin CA doesn't seem to have anything like the surface tension of water.
> I've piled it on around bridge pins and don't remember ever having the
> initial application not soak in 100%. The second pass is the one that
> might not go in, especially if you wait too long after the first.

I have never CA'd a bridge pin. I've been afraid of making a mess of the
bridge. Maybe I need to find a low-risk situation and give it a whirl.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

> If manufacturers would just use better capping material in the first
> place, this wouldn't come up. But you already knew that from experience.
> Ron N

Yup!

Terry Farrell