Preemptive CA in bridges?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 6 18:23:29 MDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
>> During rebuilding, where your choice is more wide open, why to you choose
>> epoxy over CA?
>
> Re notching and re pinning existing caps, I've use CA after the new pins
> were in, and been quite happy with it. Driving pins in a new epoxy
> laminated maple veneer cap, I use epoxy for two reasons. First, it's
> slippery and makes it easier to drive the pins. Driving pins into this
> type of cap is difficult without something lubricious added. Second, I'm
> inherently terrified of the thought of standing over CA soaked ANYTHING
> and hitting it repeatedly with a hammer.
>

>>> I'm not sure how much effect CA will have on a fully assembled newer
>>> piano in excellent condition - remember CA has little shear strength -
>>> but I think the general idea is a good one.
>
> Who cares about it's shear strength? It's in compression in a wood matrix
> in this application, and would almost certainly make a positive difference
> in long term deterioration of the cap. I think it's a good idea too.
>
> Ron N

I realize there are many forces acting on the bridge cap - I guess I was
just suggesting that the CA applied to a finished piano would not likely
have the benefits of epoxy applied as part of the pinning process. I wonder
also if you'd find much wicking down the pin into the cap if you had a real
tight fit. Wouldn't you risk making a bit of a mess on a new piano?

Terry Farrell