Bass bridge cracks and piano age

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 9:51:25 -0700

Wanamaker sounds like a would be piano builder...;-]

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Debra Feiger"
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Bass bridge cracks and piano age

I am new to this list and thank you in advance for your replies.  I hav=
e a new client with an old John Wanamaker grand piano.  It was her chil=
dhood piano and her mother recently passed away.  She does not have the=
 money to restore the piano but would like to keep it and play it for s=
entimental reasons.   The pins were loose in some sections, many of the=
 bass strings had no tone and, with a flashlight in the poorly lit room=
, I saw a number of cracks on the bass bridge.  The bridge pins did not=
 appear to be loose. I am able to give the client her options in terms =
of the action work needed, the choices for repairing/replacing the pin =
block, stringing options, regulation choices.  I need help with the opt=
ions and prices for repairing/replacing the bass bridge and perhaps the=
 treble bridge and the other parallel work necessary as a result.   Als=
o, I was trying to find the exact age! from the serial number 24745, bu=
t could only find that John Wanamaker was affiliated with Schomacker Pi=
ano Co.  There was no info on serial #'s for this company. If the seria=
l #'s are under the same system as the Schomacker Piano Co. (which I wo=
uld think they are) then the piano
dates somewhere betwee 1885 and 1890.  The client thought it was more l=
ike 1930s.  Any ideas from this list?