Hammer Rest Felt and Adjustment Question

Ben Henny benhenny@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:28:29 +0000

I'm going to replace the hammer rest cushion on an old Howard grand, and I
can't find the definitive answer regarding how much the hammer shanks should
be touching the felt. Currently, the felt on the rest looks like 5mm felt
that has been fluffed up - for a softer landing, I guess - and there are
grooves where the shanks fall and rest. The shanks actually land on the
rest.

>From what I've read, the shanks shouldn't actually "rest" on the hammer rest
but should hover above it by a few millimeters. Can anyone confirm that this
is correct? Is the felt there just to catch any flex that would cause a
shank to touch the hammer rest?