Hammer Rest Felt and Adjustment Question

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:53:33 -0500

In grands, the hammers should sit uniformly above the felt. Specs generally
don't include this measurement because there is some choice in the amount
of "float." This allows you to change the blow a little in order to
optimize aftertouch. But a general rule for grands is a float about equal
to the thickness of the shank. Touching is definitely too close.

Think of it like the "headrests" in your car. You definitely don't want to
be driving down the road with your head resting on the thing, but when some
bozo rear-ends you, you'll be mighty glad it's there.

Interesting that it's just the opposite in uprights, where the hammers must
NOT float--but neither should they be deeply nestled in groovy old felt.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri