Rebuilders gallery at national in Rochester (was News andRochester)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 07:21:22 -0400

"Seems to me the measure of how "good" a product is basically boils down =
to what degree the product is true to the design and intentions of the =
builder."

Indeed. And that begs the question - what is the intention of the =
builder? Is it to build the highest performance piano, or is it to build =
the piano that will sell the best? At least among better manufacturers, =
I suspect it is a combination of the two - but where along that =
continuum are their intentions?

And you can't tell me that any publicly owned manufacturer isn't going =
to have a pretty heavy dose of the sell intention! It's like - by =
definition!

Terry Farrell

> Cy wrote:
>=20
> Using the car analogy, one that you just bought new is a "stock" or=20
> "showroom" Steinway: all original.  Modifications may improve it, or=20
> not, depending on the modifier, may improve performance at the expense =

> of reliability (in cars, anyway), and may invalidate a warranty.  But =
in=20
> car racing, "showroom stock" is the slowest of the performance =
classes.=20
>=20
> --------------------------------------
>=20
> Ric Brekne responded:
>=20
> I aggree with your thinking here. I like to think in terms of =
<<change>>=20
> instead of  "detriment", "enhancement"... what have you.  The buying=20
> public can make up its own mind what it likes or doesnt... grin.. and=20
> they will anyways.  Lots of  folks would see a soosed-up car as =
anything=20
> but an improvement.  Gass milage, noise, their own sense of visual=20
> esthetics, safety concerns... what have you.  Lots of others are =
jazzed=20
> about any thing that goes faster, looks flashier, makes more growl.  =
To=20