Eavestaff pianette

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Thu, 06 Oct 2005 00:58:42 -0600

Jeannie Grassi wrote:

>Hello all,
>Can anyone give me any information about an Eavestaff pianette?  Supposedly
>this piano was made in England, so I was suspecting a birdcage, but I'm told
>it was made for Hardman Peck. This doesn't sound right to me.  Just had a
>phone call asking questions about such a piano and I couldn't tell her a
>thing. She also said it doesn't have a full keyboard and it looks like a
>dining room sideboard.  Now that sounds like a square grand.  Anyone know
>what she's referring to?  I'd appreciate some help.  Thanks,
>jeannie
>
>Jeannie Grassi, RPT
>Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
>mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net

I think they did actually make them to be marketed in the U. S. by
Hardman, Peck, who also sold some other oddball keyboards, I believe.
Seems I was reading something about them just recently, but now can't
place it.  Anyhow, I worked on an Eavestaff last year -- very oddball.
It was a tiny keyboard, maybe only 64 notes, and was in a strange
cabinet, more the size of a croquet set.  The action was an upside-down,
inside-out drop action of sorts, and it was utter hell to work on.  I
hope I never run into another.  I don't think it had the actual
Eavestaff name on it, but it was made by Eavestaff.  Can't remember
enough details to tell you how to work on one -- I just sort of
investigated, poked, prodded, disassembled, reassembled, and figured
things out.   Typical of many British mechanical contrivances, the guy
who designed the action must have won a "Stump the Technicians" contest.
    --David Nereson, RPT