Key Bushing Lubricant

Mark Schecter schecter@pacbell.net
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:01:49 -0800

I suppose I should have said "why would one" instead of "why would you".
So, OK, why would one use synthetic white grease, or any grease for that
matter, when cleaner, slipperier substances which have been formulated,
tested, and proven for use in pianos are readily available?

Any kind of grease, even if it contains teflon, has a very high
viscosity, and that can only be felt as friction, the opposite of what
"one" is trying to achieve. Greases are intended for high load/high
temperature applications, neither of which this is. Grease is too big
and too slow for key bushings, even if it would last.

No matter what you use to lubricate the bushings, eventually you have to
replace the bushings. The real question is, how do they feel and
function between replacements?

-Mark