Recrowning - was Soundboard Crown measurement

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:16:18 -0800 (PST)

This brings to mind my suggestion a couple of years
ago about adding a thin, tough laminate ( maple
veneer,, 3 ply ? ) to extant ribs, with a flexed
"caul" atop, to recrown. Has anyone yet tried anything
like this ? On a "junker", for starts ?
     Thump

--- erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

>    Hi Ron
>    I read thru your post & I have questions.
>     It appears that all the rib top paring down &
> prepping prior to gluing on extensions is done by
> hand. This I would find a bit tricky even with the
> piano upside down. Can more be said about the actual
> filing & fitting procedure prior the rib  glue up?
>   Also how much taller, approximately ,than
> originals were the final rib height.?
>   Also what kind of time  does this job require?
>

> With a 10 mm thick sound board panel, and the bass
> bridge being so close to the inner rim, this piano
> in original form didn't have much in the way of bass
> fullness for a 225 cm piano. In our customary
> manner, we have trenched the sound board panel just
> adjacent to note no. A1. The trench depth is 5 mm,
> half of the panel thickness.
>    Was the top of the panel thinned out at all? In
> my Mind 10 mm is very thick for any Sitka spruce
> panel. I've done this to some older Yamahas with
> very good results.
>

>   Thanks again
>   Dale
>

> Ron O.