Recrowning - was Soundboard Crown measurement

erwinspiano@aol.com erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:42:41 -0500

   Hi Ron
   I read thru your post & I have questions.
    It appears that all the rib top paring down & prepping prior to gluing on extensions is done by hand. This I would find a bit tricky even with the piano upside down. Can more be said about the actual filing & fitting procedure prior the rib  glue up?
  Also how much taller, approximately ,than originals were the final rib height.?
  Also what kind of time  does this job require?

With a 10 mm thick sound board panel, and the bass bridge being so close to the inner rim, this piano in original form didn't have much in the way of bass fullness for a 225 cm piano. In our customary manner, we have trenched the sound board panel just adjacent to note no. A1. The trench depth is 5 mm, half of the panel thickness.
   Was the top of the panel thinned out at all? In my Mind 10 mm is very thick for any Sitka spruce panel. I've done this to some older Yamahas with very good results.

  Thanks again
  Dale

Ron O.
--